Under the general direction of the Manager, the RN Charge Nurse practices & demonstrates skills that foster professional commitment of the team members to function to their level of licensure & training; make care decisions; & assume accountability for providing high quality & timely health care which supports Kaiser Permanente's mission, vision & values. In addition to these responsibilities, the Charge Nurse assumes all staff nurse responsibilities.
- Leadership Standard Of Performance: A. Participates in the guidance of nursing personnel. Supports organizational goals & objectives. Provides a leadership role to assist in the development of a high functioning self-directed team. Provides input to the manager about the job performance of employees in the department for annual performance evaluations. Collaborates w/ other departments to effectively & efficiently utilize resources in delivering quality care to members based upon age-specific needs. Serves as a liaison between the unit, the providers, professionals, outside department staff & managers, & unit management. Advocates for patients, clinicians, & staff. Promotes good public relations through positive interactions w/ patients, families, interdisciplinary professionals, & outside department staff & managers. Coordinates staff assignments & prioritizes care according to resources & patient needs. Also evaluates & prioritizes, w/ workgroup, staffing needs on a daily basis & collaborates w/ manager/ staffing specialist to resolve issues. Collaborates w/ department members & manager in developing policies & procedures for the department. Collaborates w/ leadership & department to design & facilitate workflow processes. Provides direction during emergency situations. Provides direction to non-professional support staff as needed. Serves as a clinical resource acting as a mentor & coach in assisting team members w/ issues & concerns related to patient care & workflow. Utilizes critical thinking & has authority to make decisions & delegate appropriate work. Participates & provides input for staff meetings under the direction of the manager. Participates in quality improvement activities. Promotes safe work practices & notifies manager or Safety Officer of unsafe environmental working conditions. Facilitates integration & orientation for staff. Serves as preceptor for a new Charge Nurse.
- Provides an overview of staffing functions for the shift. Serves as a liaison between the unit, the staffing assistant & the manager. Reviews appropriateness of staff for oncoming shifts. Makes assignments based on experience & competency for the shift staff. Provides input into the development & maintenance of staffing patterns for the unit & monitors day-to-day staffing & utilization of nursing resources.
- Participates in the hiring, training & evaluating process. Participates in the interview & selection of new team members (e.g. advice nurses, support staff). Collaborates w/ management to identify, develop & facilitate orientation & training needs w/ the team. Assists in the assessment & monitoring of clinical competencies of the team. Provides input into performance evaluations. Acts as mentor & coach in assisting team members w/ training or educational needs. Demonstrates personal commitment to continuous learning & professional development.
- Coordinates communication flow w/in the team w/ other local departments & regionally. Collaborates w/ manager to co-facilitate team meeting. Participates in communicating department issues locally & regionally. Facilitates information flow when emergency situations occur during operational hours. Communicates work team issues to manager on a regular basis. Communicates team performance in meeting clinical services targets.
- Demonstrates personal commitment to service & to socially relevant practice. Demonstrates behaviors that illustrate commitment to KP promise (quality you can trust, caring w/ a personal touch, convenient & ease, & affordable). Adheres to & assists in monitoring team's adherence to Quality of Service Standards & Behavioral Guidelines.
- Demonstrates & models ethical & legal behavior in all professional activities. Demonstrates accountability for personal ethical behavior & for delegated actions. Demonstrates responsible & accountable behavior concerning own work-schedule. Understands, supports, & acts as a resource related to Kaiser Permanente's policies, legal considerations & professional ethics. Adheres to & assists in monitoring team's adherence to Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act (HIPPA), Confidentiality policies & Principles of Responsibility (POR).
- Professional Standard of Performance: Uses appropriate time & location for problem discussion & resolution. Collaborates as a team member in the delivery of care to members & patients. Identifies & assists in problem solving intra-shift & inter-shift. Maintains & monitors safe & therapeutic environment for members & staff. Brings together members of the team to facilitate problems solving w/in the department. Encourages & solicits staff & input & creativity in solving departmental problems. Restricts personal business to non-patient care areas during bonafide break times. Participates in the immediate resolution of member concerns as they arise during the shift; refers unresolved member concerns to the manager. Communicates identified problems to members of the staff as they arise. However, this communication does not represent the first step of the corrective action process. Communicates ongoing & unresolved problems to manager. Assumes responsibility for continued personal & professional development relative to the Charge Nurse role. Establishes trust by maintaining integrity & confidentiality. Demonstrates support for others, accomplishing work, expresses appreciation, demonstrates flexibility in adapting to changing needs. Utilizes all current technology & other available communications tools to maintain up-to-date information. Demonstrates personal proficiency in using computer-based information & practice management systems for decision support & provision of care. Provides clinical expertise & professional nursing leadership & team approach in meeting the needs of the members.
- Operation Standard of Performance: Facilitates the operations of the unit during the assigned shift. Ensures documentation of incidences & unusual occurrences. Aware of patient flow in the unit & takes necessary actions to resolve issues that develop. Oversees work flow so that the staff take rest periods & lunch breaks. Assists & performs functions of staff nurse. Understands & participates in regional care activities. Ensures that the shift responsibilities have been completed prior to termination of the shift, I.e. Shift Repot, Exceptions & the like. Remains aware of the budget & demonstrates fiscal responsibility in decision making. Maintains collaboration w/ other Charge Nurses, meets w/ manager & attends a minimum if six Charge Nurse meetings yearly. Models department behavior standards, e.g., confidentiality, personal business outside of work area. Identifies self by wearing a nametag, & verbally introducing self by name, title &/or department. Addresses members w/ courtesy & respect. Provides assistance to members or connects members w/ appropriate person when needed. Demonstrates knowledge of & facilitates national & regional strategic initiatives at the local level. Demonstrates leadership in applying the principles & tools for the Labor-Management Partnership. Demonstrates leadership in utilizing resources in an efficient & cost-effective manner. Participates in decisions that impact the work team.
- Major Challenges/ Problems: Given time to do work. Provided w/ the appropriate tools to perform the role effectively. Placed in a role that facilitates between management & union interests. Variability in job expectations, orientation & training approaches. Ability to change in an environment of expanding scope of responsibilities. Recognition & respect from all members of the team for their accountabilities & authority. Continuing education.
- Minimum three - five (3-5) years in acute care, broad based medical/ surgical setting OR variedambulatory care/ clinic setting within the last five (5) years. (Note: Experience refers to RN experience).
- Minimum six (6) months of experience on unit applying for Charge.
- Graduate of accredited school of nursing school.
License, Certification, Registration
- Current Oregon and Washington RN license required upon hire/transfer
- Completion of Kaiser Permanente LMP Training prior to or upon hire.
- Demonstrates experience in clinical, leadership and team-building skills.
- Able to type 35 words per minute.
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal, communication, problem-solving, decision-making, time and conflict management skills.
- Ability to use computerized information systems.
- Demonstrates commitment to customer focused care.
- Demonstrates ability to work within multidisciplinary teams and within a dynamic work environment.
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
Long Term Substitute Language Arts Teacher - Meridian Creek Middle School We are seeking a Language Arts endorsed substitute teacher. The start date of the position is 8/25/2020. Position...
Head Football Coach - West Linn High School Official Start Date will be August 17, 2020. We are looking for a Head Coach who can develop and lead our program. Preferred candidates will have prior...
Head Girls Soccer Coach - Wilsonville High School** This position starts August 17, 2020 through November 21, 2020. Quality teacher and coach of competitive high school soccer; managing/directing...
Nutrition Services I - Location TBD This posting is for three 10 month, 3.5 hour/day positions. The start date is August 31, 2020. DEFINITION Under the supervision of the Nutrition Services...
IT Technician, Hillsboro, OR Kelly Services is currently seeking an IT Technician for one of our top clients in Hillsboro, OR. *Open ended contract that includes full benefits. Pay is up to...
Description: -Position is for Dry Etch PM Team. -This is an entry level position manager will consider 0-3 years experience. -Candidate must be eligible to work all shifts - training may be days,...
Long Term Substitute Language Arts Teacher - Meridian Creek Middle School We are seeking a...
Head Football Coach - West Linn High School Official Start Date will be August 17, 2020. We are...
Head Girls Soccer Coach - Wilsonville High School** This position starts August 17, 2020 through...
Nutrition Services I - Location TBD This posting is for three 10 month, 3.5 hour/day positions....
IT Technician, Hillsboro, OR Kelly Services is currently seeking an IT Technician for one of...
Description: -Position is for Dry Etch PM Team. -This is an entry level position manager will...