The World Federalist Movement - Institute for Global Policy (WFM-IGP; www.wfm-igp.org ) works to advance the global promise of peace and is committed to building a safer and more just world. The organization includes a comprehensive set of programs that work to protect civilians from the threat of genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity; facilitate transparency in governance; increase access to justice; and promote the application of the rule of law. WFM-IGP works in partnership with the United Nations and often serves as a hub of information and collective action on UN-related issues. In addition, we work with governments, and other international and regional institutions around the globe – as well as with thousands of committed individuals and world leaders – to advance a mission of peace, prosperity, and security for all.
The Coalition for the International Criminal Court (CICC; www.coalitionfortheicc.org ), a program of the World Federalist Movement-Institute for Global Policy, includes 2,500 civil society organizations in 150 different countries working in partnership to strengthen international cooperation with the ICC; ensure that the Court is fair, effective and independent; make justice both visible and universal; and advance stronger national laws that deliver justice to victims of war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide. The ICC is the only permanent Court with the mandate to bring to justice individuals who commit the most serious violations of international humanitarian law, namely genocide, crimes against humanity, war crimes and the crime of aggression.
The CICC Programs Intern will assist the Membership and Outreach Associate, along with other staff as relevant, with a variety of administrative and logistical tasks related to providing support to existing Coalition members, assist in advocacy efforts through a mix of legal research and administrative tasks, and supporting the New York Secretariat office with management and program administration where needed. The position is on a part-time basis for a minimum of three months.
The successful candidate will be given the opportunity to:
- Gain valuable experience in the non-profit sector
- Gain skills and participate in advocacy strategizing, project development and implementation
- Gain skills in effective team working and how to ensure effective team meetings
- Gain strategic treaty body and governmental advocacy experience with particular emphasis on the ICC
- Build and expand his/her professional network
- Work in a young, multicultural, and dynamic work environment
- Improve managerial, organizational, and problem-solving skills.
- Attend meetings and debates at the UN on thematic issues and country situations that relate to the ICC, reporting on the sessions for staff and Coalition members;
- Assist in membership outreach, including researching potential new members, and updating the membership database;
- Contribute to Coalition communications efforts, particularly in linking members to communications tools available;
- Draft talking points, factsheets, and op-eds as needed;
- Provide support to advocacy efforts in New York and abroad; and
- Undertake special projects and assignments as may arise
- Advanced undergraduate or graduate student in law, international relations, human rights, or related field;
- Knowledge of the ICC, UN, or peace and security matters in ICC situation countries;
- Excellent written and oral communication, research, organization and writing skills;
- Ability to work independently and within the constraints of tight deadlines;
- Perfect knowledge of English, proficiency in French a plus;
- Previous experience in database management an advantage;
- Interest in the goals of the Coalition.
How to apply:
Please note that this is an unpaid internship and the Coalition cannot cover associated transportation or accommodation costs. We recommend all prospective candidates to seek financial assistance from their academic institutions or seek outside fellowships, grants, and personal resources. The Coalition cannot sponsor individuals applying for internships to help them obtain visas.
Please apply by 14 August by sending a cover letter, CV, and short writing sample (5 pages max.) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject header, “NY Programs Intern - [First and last name]”.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis; therefore it is advised to send in applications early. Short-listed candidates will be invited for a telephone/Skype interview. Due to the great number of applications, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
NO phone inquiries please.
The WFM-IGP is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer strongly committed to hiring and retaining diverse and internationally representative interns.
WASH Project Coordinator Tracking Code 9811 Job Description *Please note: This position is funded through the end of September 2020 with the possibility of extension. PATH is a global organization...
Proposal Writer - Consultant Opportunity Tracking Code 9802 Job Description PATH is a global organization that works to accelerate health equity by bringing together public institutions,...
Kenna Security is revolutionizing cyber risk with a SaaS-based platform that uses data science to combine vulnerability data with exploit intelligence to measure risk, predict attacks and...
The Varonis Security Architect will develop solutions for customers and prospects to assist in gaining visibility into security events affecting their environment. They will have intimate...
Description INRIX is a leading provider of predictive and historical traffic information, connected car services and analytics worldwide. We power traffic displays and navigation for some of the...
Imagine working on a global communication network that’s used by 3.7 billion people and every day more than a quarter trillion messages cross this network. There’s just one problem: even in...
WASH Project Coordinator Tracking Code 9811 Job Description *Please note: This position is...
Proposal Writer - Consultant Opportunity Tracking Code 9802 Job Description PATH is a global...
Kenna Security is revolutionizing cyber risk with a SaaS-based platform that uses data science...
The Varonis Security Architect will develop solutions for customers and prospects to assist in...
Description INRIX is a leading provider of predictive and historical traffic information,...
Imagine working on a global communication network that’s used by 3.7 billion people and every...