Internationally Recruited Staff
Reports to: Deputy Director General - Research (primary) and Head of Partnerships and Resource Mobilization (secondary)
Location: Cairo, Egypt
Advertisement date: 14 November 2019
Closing date: 08 December 2019
(or until the position is filled)
Main purpose of position
The Communications Manager plays a critical role managing and enhancing ICARDA’s brand, visibility and influence in the global arena of agricultural research for development. Working closely with researchers, as well as staff from monitoring and evaluation, resource mobilization and project development, the successful candidate will develop and support the implementation of actionable engagement strategies that position ICARDA at the forefront of research-for-development in the global dry areas. Upon their arrival, the successful candidate will combine strategic capacity with a hands-on work attitude and be able to implement communications activities rapidly and with impact and build and leverage internal knowledge sharing and communication capacity, both of a small communication team, amongst researchers, and across the organization.
The International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA) is an international autonomous, non-profit, research organization supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR).
ICARDA’s mission is to reduce poverty, enhance food, water and nutritional security, as well as environmental health in the face of global challenges including climate change. We do this through innovative science, strategic partnerships, linking research to development and capacity development that take into account gender equality and the role of youth in transforming the dry areas. ICARDA works in partnership with governments, universities, civil society, national agricultural research organization, other CGIAR research Centers, and the private sector. With its temporary
Headquarters in Beirut, Lebanon, ICARDA operates in regional and country offices across Africa, Asia and the Middle East. For more information: www.icarda.org
The Communications Manager will have the following key responsibilities:
· Review ICARDA's existing communications strategy and develop and implement annual action plans to target key audiences, including a highly-targeted media program, digital and social media channels, and niche communications programs for a range of stakeholders including, but not limited to: donors, researchers, and policy-makers.
· Produce timely, high-quality, and high-impact communication material, such as press releases, thought-pieces, editorials, corporate reports, newsletters, and other flagship publications and public awareness material, both in digital and print format.
· Ensure that the ICARDA website is up-to-date, operational, and works to enhance the visibility and understanding of ICARDA’s mission and impact internationally, with particular attention to funders, policymaker, and strategic partners.
· Ensure that ICARDA’s profile is updated on the CGIAR website.
· Develop and maintain effective relationships with relevant media to maximize opportunities for effective coverage of ICARDA’s work. Profile and pitch to journalists and producers.
· Work closely with the Head of Partnerships and Resource Mobilization to produce compelling, relevant and thought-provoking communications’ products that support ICARDA’s overall vision and mission, and supports increased funding and partnerships
· Provide support to the Deputy Director General – Research, and research teams, to ensure that all scientific and technical documents uploaded in the ICARDA MEL repository meet international standards of English grammar and style in addition to being in-line with ICARDA’s Style Guidelines. This is expected to be undertaken both by the incumbent themselves as well as via outsourcing.
· Provide support and strategic advice to research programs and teams and streamline effective dissemination of research results and knowledge products into their projects and initiatives from an early stage of project development.
· Build organizational capacity for effective communication through coaching and training of scientists and members of the Senior Management Team and other staff as necessary.
· Plan and Manage ICARDA’s presence and visibility at major national, regional and global events.
· Manage risks associated with external communications and lead on reputation management.
· Prepare and manage annual budgets for the Communications Unit.
· Lead and motivate a small team of staff, consultants and interns.
· Effectively manage the outsourcing of communication activities as necessary.
Education, qualifications and experience
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
· Advanced degree in communication, marketing, journalism, international relations, or related field. Relevant experience will also be considered in lieu of these qualifications.
· At least 8-10 years of progressively responsible experience in communication and/or marketing, including international experience, with a track record of creating and implementing successful strategic communications, marketing, and PR campaigns as well as producing high-quality materials.
· Good understanding of issues related to agricultural research and development and how they relate to climate change, food security and environmental degradation.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, with solid copywriting skills.
· Considerable experience in managing new media, digital channels, and websites.
· Knowledge of a web management platforms (Drupal 8 preferable) as well as WordPress.
· International media experience.
· Experience in effective management and motivation of staff.
· Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact with people at all levels, from diverse national, cultural and academic disciplines.
Desirable experience, skills and qualifications
· Experience with Adobe InDesign.
· Experience within a research or development context.
· Experience in communications for fundraising in international markets, including accessing new avenues for resource mobilization via communications’ activities.
· Ability to communicate in Arabic and/or French.
· Experience of working with Boards and high-profile ‘ambassadors’.
· Knowledge of the regions in which ICARDA operates.
· Ability to work effectively under tight deadlines and with a high degree of autonomy.
· Ability to think strategically combined with the ability and willingness to do hands-on work in a context of limited human and financial resources.
· A personable and supportive team-oriented candidate.
· An upbeat and enthusiastic attitude.
· Strong organizational skills and keen attention to detail.
· Strong work ethics and integrity.
· Commitment to ICARDA’s mission.
Terms of appointment, salary and benefits
This is an internationally recruited position for which ICARDA offers an attractive compensation package including a competitive salary, housing allowance, non-contributory retirement plan, medical insurance and leave provisions. All benefits are denominated and paid in US Dollars. The successful candidate will be offered an initial renewable contract of 3 years. Confirmation of the contract is subject to a probationary period of one year.
ICARDA is committed to increasing women representation in its workforce and strongly encourages applications from qualified women.
Applications will be acknowledged, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
6 hours ago | Agribusiness - Chemical, Pesticide and Fertilizer - Transportation/Truck Driver, AgCareers.com, 29 daysDo you have a Class-A CDL with Hazmat endorsement? Are you willing to work overtime hours during busy seasons? Do you have a positive outlook and excellent communication skills? If so, we want to...
6 hours ago | Agribusiness - Chemical, Pesticide and Fertilizer - Transportation/Truck Driver, AgCareers.com, 29 daysDo you have a Class-A CDL with Hazmat endorsement? Are you willing to work overtime hours during...