- Development and execution of viable limited recourse project finance transactions
- Project finance expert with demonstrated experience and track record of securing private sector financing for income generating municipal or central government infrastructure projects with project sponsors, including sponsors who are cities or municipalities;
- Demonstrated track record in structuring infrastructure projects in developing countries, using risk mitigation structures, including specific elements such as EPC, O&M and PPA contracts;
- Demonstrated track record of innovating in the above project development and financing processes, adapting the development, structuring, risk mitigation, and financing as needed to secure private sector finance;
- Access to potential lenders and alternative equity partners from the Development Finance Institutions (DFI’s) / Multilateral Finance Institutions (MFI’s) / impact investment community;
- Demonstrated ability to develop and close project finance transactions in developing countries is a plus
- Demonstrated the ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
- Track record of providing capacity building and technical support to project teams or their advisors on largescale infrastructure projects – development, structuring, risk mitigation and financing
- A Master’s Degree or equivalent in international development, finance, business administration, Law or equivalent
- This assignment needs a bilingual candidate. Fluency in English is necessary and one of the following languages: French, Spanish, Arabic, and Portuguese.
Home Based with physical presence in Africa, South East Asia, the Pacific, Arab States, Latin America and the Caribbean.
Interested consultants must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications. Proposers who shall not submit below mentioned documents will not be considered for further evaluation. (Note: the system does not allow multiple uploads of documents. Applicants must make sure to upload all documents in one PDF file).
- Duly accomplished Letter of Confirmation of Interest and Availability;
- Personal CV or UN P11 form, - indicating all past experience, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate AND names of at least three (3) professional references (e-mail addresses, telephone numbers);
- Brief description of why the individual considers him/herself as the most suitable for the assignment, outlining track record and direct relevance for the present assignment; Please paste the letter into the "Resume and Motivation" section of the electronic application. This is the section where the preferred thematic areas should be indicated;
- Signed Financial proposal, for the assignment outlining: All-inclusive daily fee in USD (including professional fees and other professional expenses, such as housing, insurance, taxes, etc.) Available at http://procurement-notices.undp.org/view_file.cfm?doc_id=29916 ).
If an Offeror is employed by an organization/company/institution, and he/she expects his/her employer to charge a management fee in the process of releasing him/her to UNCDF under Reimbursable Loan Agreement (RLA), the Offeror must indicate at this point, and ensure that all such costs are duly incorporated in the financial proposal submitted to UNCDF.
When applying for this consultancy position, the Offeror must apply with his/her official name as shown in the government issued identification document (e.g. passport and/or driver license). Contract award is subject to this verification.
Evaluation of applicants:
Individual consultants will be evaluated based on a “ combined evaluation of both technical and financial proposals.
The award of the contract will be made to the individual consultant whose CV has been evaluated and determined as (a) technically responsive/ compliant/ acceptable, and (b) lowest daily fee. CVs will be evaluated based on:
- Relevant experience working in international development, project finance, and helping large scale infrastructure projects reach finance close in developing countries.
Applications will be rated on both technical and financial submissions. The following selection method will be used: Highest rated proposal using the combined scoring method, which assigns the weight distribution between the technical and financial proposals. The overall combined score will be 100 points, where weight distribution shall be 70% technical (Desk Review) and 30% financial.
Step I: Screening:
Applications will be screened and only applicants meeting the following minimum criteria (listed under education and experience) will progress to the pool for shortlisting:
- Education requirements as indicated in this Terms of Reference.
- Development and execution of viable limited recourse project finance transactions
- Demonstrated track record of at least three years in structuring infrastructure projects in developing countries, using risk mitigation structures, including specific elements such as EPC, O&M and PPA contracts.
- Proficiency in English is required and any of the following languages, French, Spanish, Arabic, Portuguese.
Step II: Shortlisting by Desk Review (100 points X 70%)
UNCDF will conduct a desk review process to shortlist and technically evaluate candidates as per the following criteria:
1. Development and execution of viable limited recourse project finance transactions. Experience in Municipal investment transactions is an advantage. (20 points)
2. Demonstrated track record in structuring infrastructure projects in developing countries, using risk mitigation structures, including specific elements such as EPC, O&M and PPA contracts. Experience in Municipal investment transactions is an advantage. (30 points)
3. Track record of providing capacity building and technical support to project teams or their advisors on infrastructure projects – development, structuring, risk mitigation and financing including debt, equity, PPP and bond modalities. (20 points)
4. Demonstrated track record of innovating in the above project development and financing processes, adapting the development, structuring, risk mitigation, and financing as needed to secure additional financing flows. (20 points)
5. Experience in accessing potential lenders and alternative equity partners from the Development Finance Institutions (DFI’s) / Multilateral Finance Institutions (MFI’s) / impact investment community. (5 points)
6. Fluency in English and Fluency in one Additional language (French, or Arabic or Spanish or Portuguese or Russian). (5 points)
Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 70% on the total of Step II: Desk Review will be considered as technically qualified and will be reviewed further for financial evaluation.
Step III: Financial Evaluation:
The following formula will be used to evaluate financial proposal:
Lowest priced proposal/price of the proposal being evaluated x 30%.
The Price proposal must be submitted as an inclusive daily fee in USD.
Step IV: Short interview
- Candidates passing step III will be invited for a short interview to discuss their availability, language preferences, expertise and geographical interest. This will enable a more effective utulization of the LTAs and a balanced capacity to meet demand. The findings from the interview shall not, in any way, alter the outcome of the combined scoring arising from Steps I to III. However, the outcome of the interview may impact the ranking of the consultants.
Step V: Placement on Roster and Issuance of Individual Contract
LTA awards shall be made to candidates whose offers have been evaluated and determined as:
- Responsive/compliant/acceptable vis-à-vis the requirements of the TOR and the project operating environment; and
- Having received the highest scores out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical criteria (70%) and financial criteria (30%) specific to the solicitation.
Both individual consultants and individuals employed by a company or institution are welcome to apply.
Any individual employed by a company or institution who would like to submit an offer must do so in their individual capacity (providing a CV so that their qualifications may be judged accordingly).
Women candidates or women-owned businesses are strongly encouraged to apply.
UNCDF is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
Individual Consultants are responsible for ensuring they have vaccinations/inoculations when traveling to certain countries, as designated by the UN Medical Director. Consultants are also required to comply with the UN security directives set forth under dss.un.org .