The King County Solid Waste Division plans, develops and implements a variety of programs that target residents, businesses, local governments, and schools with programs including waste reduction, recycling and moderate risk wastes. We are looking for a dynamic and enthusiastic intern. This position will assist the waste prevention, recycling, and hazardous waste program managers with program planning and implementation, research and other duties as assigned.
Examples of past intern projects include: planning and implementing a tour of British Columbia plastics recycling facilities, creating an "equity in hiring" checklist, researching policy options for Perchloroethylene, researching sustainable development policies and practices and compiling and analyzing data on green building and hazardous waste collection programs.
King County Solid Waste Division is committed to the principles of racial equity and social justice. We value diverse perspectives and life experiences in our workforce, and are committed to building a culturally diverse and inclusive environment.
Who May Apply: This position is open to full-time students in an undergraduate or graduate degree program. This is a year-long internship and if you are not available to work throughout the school year, you may not qualify for this position. Students graduating prior to June 2018 will not be considered.
How to apply:Please submit your applications online at www.kingcounty.gov/jobs
Internship Length: Duration is for one year with up to two, one-year renewals possible while student is enrolled full-time in an undergraduate or graduate program at an accredited university.
Work Schedule: Interns work up to 15 to 20 hours/week during the school year and 40-hours/week during the summer with maximum hours limited to 900 hours per year. The working hours are within 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
Work Location: King Street Center - 201 South Jackson Street, Suite 701, Seattle, WA
Compensation Details:This is a paid internship. Student interns are ineligible for benefits but do receive a free transit (ORCA) pass.
- Undergraduate Student Intern (Intern II) - $16.07 to $20.38(Pay range 26)
- Graduate Student Intern (Intern III) - $18.10 to $22.94 (Pay Range 31)
Generally, student interns begin at Step 1 of their pay range. Pay rates above Step 1 may be offered in certain circumstances based upon the intern's program of study, experience and class standing.
Application Materials Required: A King County online application and cover letter that describe (1)Your interest in the position(s) and how both you and King County Solid Waste will benefit from your employment and (2) How your background and experience demonstrate creativity, initiative and an ability to communicate well with others.
If considered for an interview, please be prepared to provide proof of full-time enrollment in an accredited college or university, transcript, and proof of cumulative grade point average. Proof of enrollment and eligibility to work is required upon hire.
Recycling and Environmental Services Section Profile:Recycling and Environmental Services Section is the lead for the division's recycling programs. Some of the notable programs include green building, hazardous waste and the Wastemobile, product stewardship, policy, resource recovery, junk vehicle and special waste programs. The section also has outreach programs designed to educate the public on proper recycling methods and help the county reach the desired 70 percent recycling rate. Some of the most successful outreach programs are Green Schools, Food: Too Good to Waste, and Recycle More/Recicla Mas.
Potential for student learning in this internship:
- The intern will exercise skills in communication, collaboration, research, project development and implementation, and will become familiar with the structure and organization of King County government.
- The intern will improve project management skills.
- The intern will improve understanding of waste prevention/recycling programs, policy, product stewardship, and hazardous waste management.
- The intern will gain expertise in working on project teams.
- The intern will gain expertise in culturally and audience appropriate outreach and education project planning.
Example of intern responsibilities: Under direct supervision, the student will:
- Assist with developing outreach tools, including social media tools to support waste prevention and recycling education programs including school and general outreach programs.
- Conduct research related to audience attitudes, beliefs and barriers to sustainable behaviors associated with hazardous waste, recycling and environmental services programs.
- Assist with product stewardship and policy programs.
- Help plan and organize conference sessions and training events.
- Write twice monthly blog posts on a variety of environmental topics of interest to teachers and students.
- Assist with other recycling and environmental services projects, as needed.
Internship requirements and qualifications
- Basic knowledge of the principles of hazardous waste management, waste management, waste reduction and recycling.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Good written, analytical and organizational skills.
- Experience working with or basic knowledge of King County residents who speak languages other than English.
- Working knowledge of software products used in an office environment, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, and Outlook.
- Self-motivated, flexible and able to work independently.
- Enrolled full time in an undergraduate or graduate program at an accredited university.
Who to contact: If you have questions about this position and wish to know more about the Solid Waste Division contact firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have questions about how to apply or other questions about this recruitment, please contact Prakash Meloot at (206) 477-5262 or email email@example.com
Job Title: Environmental Internship
Opening Date/Time: Fri. 06/16/17 12:00 AM Pacific Time
Closing Date/Time: Sun. 07/02/17 11:59 PM Pacific Time
Salary: $16.07 - $22.94 Hourly
Job Type: Intern
Location: King Street Center - 201 S Jackson St, Seattle, Washington
Department: Department of Natural Resources & Parks - Solid Waste Division
44768BR Division 4175: AWS - Seattle Location 53212: Seattle-54 S Dawson St Legal Entity RABANCO, LTD. About Us Republic Services is an industry leader in U.S. recycling and non-hazardous solid...
44508BR Division 4175: AWS - Seattle Location 53212: Seattle-54 S Dawson St Legal Entity RABANCO, LTD. About Us Republic Services is an industry leader in U.S. recycling and non-hazardous solid...
Who is Georgia-Pacific?Watch to find out! Georgia-Pacific is seeking a dedicated Environmental Manager at our Tacoma, WA facility. This professional role provides multi-level support to plant and...
DESCRIPTION Amazon.com is seeking an experienced Product Manager to identify, build, and maintain features that support our physical Textbook Rental business - an innovative service that has...
Environmental Services Technician II - Part Time Schedule -Full-time Job -Food Service/Housekeeping Daily Schedule-7AM - 3:30PM Scheduled Hours per 2-week Pay Period-64 Weekends Required-Every...
We have an opening for a SUPERVISOR, COOK - HRLY position. Location: 2121 7th Avenue Seattle, WA 98101 Note: online applications accepted only . Schedule: F/T: Monday through Friday, 6:00 a.m. -...
44768BR Division 4175: AWS - Seattle Location 53212: Seattle-54 S Dawson St Legal...
44508BR Division 4175: AWS - Seattle Location 53212: Seattle-54 S Dawson St Legal...
Who is Georgia-Pacific?Watch to find out! Georgia-Pacific is seeking a dedicated...
DESCRIPTION Amazon.com is seeking an experienced Product Manager to identify, build, and...
Environmental Services Technician II - Part Time Schedule -Full-time Job -Food...
We have an opening for a SUPERVISOR, COOK - HRLY position. Location: 2121 7th Avenue Seattle, WA...