To apply, email cover letter and resume to:
OKLAHOMA CONSERVATION COMMISSION WATER QUALITY DIVISION
ENVIRONMENTAL PROGRAMS SPECIALIST II, III, OR IV
Location: Oklahoma City
The Environmental Program Specialist II thru IV (working title: Water Quality Specialist II thru IV) is primarily involved in physical, chemical, and biological monitoring with at least 25 percent of time devoted to data processing, analysis, report writing, environmental education and other duties as assigned.
The primary responsibility of this position involves rigidly scheduled field work, much of which will be performed alone and regardless of weather conditions. Office work includes but is not limited to precise maintenance and submittal of data, coordination of monitoring activities with other monitoring personnel, maintenance of monitoring equipment, purchasing of supplies/equipment, and writing of assigned reports/outputs. Employees at this level have a clear specialization in stream monitoring, data, and related assessment and may be recognized as an expert in the specialty.
• Conduct physical, chemical and biological monitoring of streams according to standard operating procedures, ensuring project quality assurance and controls were met
• Collect, handle, and identify a variety of aquatic and semi-aquatic organisms
• Serve as the crew leader for biological collections directing a team of water quality specialists and interns in standard collection techniques (e.g., seine, boat, pram, back-pack shocking device). This responsibility requires the ability to identify, in the field and with proven accuracy, most fish collected across the varying ecoregions of the state
• Originate, maintain, and submit samples, records, and other sampling event products with utmost care and within established timelines
• Maintain monitoring equipment and analytical instrumentation to collect precise, accurate information
• Learn and practice operation and maintenance of all equipment to ensure functionality, accuracy, and safety
• Install and maintain automated samplers, sondes, or related equipment
• Supervise summer interns and train new employees.
• Screen, recon, and select monitoring sites when directed
• Represent the Water Quality Division at public and private meetings as directed
• Conduct support activities including but not limited to ordering supplies and maintaining inventory, organizing landowner reports and permission requests, data analysis and report writing, biological sample identification, nonpoint source educational event support, or other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Required at this level include strong written and oral communication skills; basic knowledge of water quality, stream ecology and related sciences; basic understanding of the relationship between land use, pollution, chemical and physical water quality parameters, instream habitat, and the biota of streams; knowledge of data origination, management and assessment; basic knowledge of field based scientific collections and associated quality assurance and control.
Candidates are remotely supervised and therefore must be detail oriented and able to work independently for long periods and during challenging weather conditions. The ability to think analytically and make sound, impromptu decisions is required. Position requires routine travel within the state and infrequently out of state. Position requires irregular work weeks involving long work days and potential weekend work to meet sampling requirements.
Education and Experience:
Preferred requirements at this level consist of a bachelor’s degree with at least 24 semester hours in a physical, natural, or biological science, chemistry, geology, hydrology, physical geography, environmental science, or related degree with at least one year of professional experience in one of the areas listed. A master’s or PhD degree in a qualifying area can substitute for the years experiences.
Engineering Manager - Requisition ID 107004 USA-Oklahoma-Tulsa Description ENGINEERING MANAGER Our world-class expertise in connecting space, airborne, ground and sea-based platforms with secure,...
Wire Tech - Assembler - Requisition ID 107003 USA-Oklahoma-Tulsa Description WIRE TECH - ASSEMBLER Our world-class expertise in connecting space, airborne, ground and sea-based platforms with...
QC Inspector (Manufacturing) - Shawnee, OK ( Job Number: 1908601) About Us: Baker Hughes, a GE company (NYSE:BHGE) is the world’s first and only fullstream provider of integrated oilfield...
Branch Manager Needed (Agronomy, Sales, Operations) Oklahoma, USA I am looking for a Branch Manager for a successful multi-location coop, with 2-3 years" experience as an agronomist, or operations...
agX Content Specialist - Proagrica - Stillwater (REE00AYU) Job : Data Research & Analytics Primary Location : NA-USA-Oklahoma Organization : Reed Business Information Inc. Description agX Content...
Trane Controls Technician - Broken Arrow, NE - (1903420) Description At Ingersoll Rand we are passionate about inspiring progress around the world. We advance the quality of life by creating...
Engineering Manager - Requisition ID 107004 USA-Oklahoma-Tulsa Description ENGINEERING...
Wire Tech - Assembler - Requisition ID 107003 USA-Oklahoma-Tulsa Description WIRE TECH -...
QC Inspector (Manufacturing) - Shawnee, OK ( Job Number: 1908601) About Us: Baker Hughes, a GE...
Branch Manager Needed (Agronomy, Sales, Operations) Oklahoma, USA I am looking for a Branch...
agX Content Specialist - Proagrica - Stillwater (REE00AYU) Job : Data Research &...
Trane Controls Technician - Broken Arrow, NE - (1903420) Description At Ingersoll Rand we are...