The Gender & Inclusion Specialist provides technical guidance and oversight on implementation across Save the Children’s portfolio in Lebanon with a focus on gender mainstreaming and inclusion of children and persons with disabilities. The position holder is expected to work closely with field operations teams across Lebanon to identify gaps and support teams in ensuring programmes are gender sensitive at a minimum and gender transformative wherever possible, as well as accessible and meaningfully engaging people with disabilities. The position holder is expected to identify and drive forward recommendations on inclusive programming. S/he must be proactive, results oriented, able to manage a large workload and work with diverse range of people. S/he will be expected to work in SC’s fiel d locations at least 70% of the time (Bekaa Valley, North, Beirut & Mount Lebanon).
Level 3 – the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Programme Development & Quality Director
Budget responsibility: Small amounts for relevant capacity development for field teams and external consultants as required
The Gender & Inclusion Specialist ensures the following:
* Programming is gender sensitive at a minimum and gender transformative where possible across the full cycle (identification and design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation).
* Country office shows an increased understanding of how gender equality effects project and programme outcomes and identify strategies to ensure gender integration in SC Lebanon in all projects and programmes.
* Programme teams are intentionally identifying and engaging with the most vulnerable children and households, including children with disabilities and/or households with caregivers with disabilities, female headed households and other vulnerable groups.
* Programmes address barriers on access to services for children with disabilities and their families through systematic identification of environmental, attitudinal and institutional barriers and promoting initiatives that achieve inclusion.
* Increased capacity of all/relevant staff on guidelines/protocols/tools to mainstream gender equality and inclusion (through direct capacity building, referring to learning opportunities, etc.).
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
* Develop a Disability Inclusion Plan with technical support from the Regional Disability Adviser for MEEE region.
* Support TAs of the different thematic areas in implementing recommendations on improving our work with people with disabilities, in coordination with the Regional Disability Inclusion Adviser. Ensure those recommendations are in line with SC’s Country Strategy.
* Develop gender equality strategy and action plan, provide overall strategic leadership to Save the Children’s work in gender mainstreaming in Lebanon and in line with the SC’s Country Strategy.
* Ensure that country office gender equality champions lead implementation of gender equality action plan and SMT lead accountability.
* Review sectoral strategies (together with relevant TAs ) to identify entry points for gender-sensitive strategy.
* Ensure clear process in place for tracking and reporting on progress against the gender and inclusion mainstreaming action plans.
* Identify funding streams that could support specific gender and disability inclusion projects in Lebanon.
* Contribute to Country Strategy Review and Proposal Development with specific indicators and objectives on disability inclusion.
Programme quality and standards within Programme Operations
* Provide gender and disability technical expertise, quality assurance and support for Save the Children’s programmes across Lebanon including by spending substantial amount of time (minimum 70% of time) working with teams in field offices in Bekaa, North and Beirut, Mount Lebanon.
* Guide the team in delivering the following recommendations:
(1) Ensure programme access is equitable and has meaningful quality participation for girls and boys, men and women including with disabilities.
(2) Working closely with the MEAL team to ensure sex and age and disability disaggregated data and data is consistently produced and used to inform programming and political advocacy at all levels.
(3) Training sessions and awareness raising sessions with all community stakeholders should include a strong gender perspective.
(4)Ensure meaningful involvement of male caregivers in parenting sessions.
(5) Support thematic TAs in the development and roll out of assessments by review of assessment tools and incorporation of disability questions using Washington Group of (6) Questions and any other gender and disability support needed.
* Ensure documentation of case studies and dissemination of these both internally and externally working with the Media and Advocacy team.
* Support the drafting of high quality reports on project progress.
* Lead capacity development initiatives with field teams and partners, on the themes of inclusion and gender.
* Based on gap analysis, coordinate the development of a technical capacity building plans (based on an initial comprehensive capacity gap assessment) for staff and partners, working with field teams to prioritise training needs and resource these appropriately with technical support from Regional Disability and Regional Gender Advisors.
* Facilitate trainings and coaching sessions on topics of gender mainstreaming, disability inclusive programming in line with SCI global training materials on disability inclusion and gender mainstreaming.
* Conduct any necessary refresher gender equality/mainstreaming and inclusion trainings to staff and trainings to partners with technical support from Regional Disability and Regional Gender Advisors.
* In coordination with the Partnerships Manager, the Gender and Inclusion Specialist should lead relationships with relevant stakeholders to ensure Save the Children is participating in relevant discussion and engaging with allies in the gender and inclusion theme. This includes ensuring meaningful partnerships with the Disability Movement; Humanity and Inclusion; Women’s organisations in Lebanon.
* Undertake a stakeholders mapping to identify Disabled People Organisation (DPOs) working with children with disabilities and identify technical collaboration opportunities as well as opportunities for referrals as well as strengthening community-based rehabilitation initiatives.
* Participate and contribute towards humanitarian coordination strategies and response plan processes to promote the inclusion of children with disabilities in the Lebanon Crisis Response Plan.
* Represent SC in gender and disability related national inter-agency forums.
* Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE AND ATTRIBUTES:
* Master’s Degree in International Development / Relations, Women and Gender Studies or related field, or equivalent training/experience.
* 4 – 6 years’ field work experience implementing, managing, and/or providing technical assistance to programs in developing countries, including with focus on gender mainstreaming/gender focused programs or disability inclusion; focus on children, adolescents (especially adolescent girls) and youth programming desirable.
* Knowledge of and experience in applying gender equality and inclusion principles and practices.
* Experience with gender-sensitive child rights programming in areas including Education, Child Protection Shelter and Livelihoods and CRG and the interaction/linkages among those sectors.
* Experience working in a range of Middle East contexts and countries.
* Experience in gender and disability advocacy or policy work, or other regional or national mechanisms to advance gender equality is an asset.
Competencies, Skills and Behaviours
* Ability to synthesize and develop high-quality knowledge products from diverse data
sources including programmatic materials and tools; outstanding gender analysis skills.
* Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills to develop strong working relationships across cultural and organizational boundaries with internal and external stakeholders, and managing through influence.
* Works collaboratively with team members to drive forward progress.
* Strong English and Arabic communication and writing skills are essential.
* Comfortable working independently with little supervision, as well as with receiving and accounting for direction and engaging as part of a dynamic team.
* Demonstrate strong commitment to Save the Children’s Mission, Vision and Values. Previous experience with child rights programming is an asset.
* Adhere to Child Safeguarding policies & procedures.
* Computer literacy including Internet, Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access).
Description About Mercy Corps Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the...
HR Benefits Analyst (ID# 44047) Ephrata, PA Category: Human Resources Job Type: Full Time Minimum Experience: 3 + Required Education: Bachelor's Degree Job Description Be involved in projects with...
Job Description Position at Ingram Micro WHO IS INGRAM MICRO? Ingram Micro touches 80% of the technology you use every day with our focus on Technology Solutions, Cloud, and Commerce and Life...
Database Coordinator (Marketing Assistant) (ID# 44195) Ephrata, PA Category: Marketing Job Type: Full Time Minimum Experience: 3+ Required Education: Bachelor's Degree Job Description Be involved...
Biller I (ID# 44074) Ephrata, PA Category: Accounting Job Type: Full Time Minimum Experience: 3+ Required Education: High School Diploma Job Description Be involved in projects with our Billing...
Corporate Cash Analyst (ID# 43963) Ephrata, PA Category: Accounting Job Type: Full Time Minimum Experience: 5 + Required Education: High School Diploma Job Description Be involved in projects...
Description About Mercy Corps Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief...
HR Benefits Analyst (ID# 44047) Ephrata, PA Category: Human Resources Job Type: Full...
Job Description Position at Ingram Micro WHO IS INGRAM MICRO? Ingram Micro touches 80% of the...
Database Coordinator (Marketing Assistant) (ID# 44195) Ephrata, PA Category: Marketing Job...
Biller I (ID# 44074) Ephrata, PA Category: Accounting Job Type: Full Time Minimum...
Corporate Cash Analyst (ID# 43963) Ephrata, PA Category: Accounting Job Type: Full Time Minimum...