Org .Setting And Reporting
The United Nations (UN) Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) is the UN Secretariat department responsible for bringing together humanitarian actors to ensure a coherent response to complex emergencies and natural disasters. OCHA also ensures that there is a framework within which each actor can contribute to the overall response effort.
The Information Management IM function, is responsible for both defining and implementing OCHA's information and technology strategy while introducing more effective ways of developing and delivering digital information and technology services that serve OCHA staff and the larger humanitarian sector. The Digital Services team has been recently established to focus on high priority projects that bring together a variety of IM's existing sections/projects as well as other OCHA platforms. The teams within IM are responsible for a range of matters including humanitarian data (HDX), response-based websites (ReliefWeb & HumanitarianResponse.info) and applications (Humanitarian.ID), technical infrastructure (email, document management, connectivity, etc), and both support to and capacity development of field-based information management officers. The announcement offers an opportunity for an internship assignment that will be based in New York, USA, and the intern will under the guidance and supervision of a Programme Manager within the Digital Services Team. This internship is being offered for a period of three (3) months with a possibility of extension up to a maximum period of six (6) months.
Daily responsibilities will depend on the individual's background, duties may include but are not limited to lending support to projects and/or activities within the branch/Division of assignment, and in particular the intern may:
- Assist in creating a variety of infographics to explain existing and new information management tools, processes, skills, etc.
- Assist in creating web and mobile application designs.
- Assist in creating animation or video products to explain existing and new information management tools, process, skills, etc.
- Complete above using or leveraging creative and/or new techniques for the humanitarian community (e.g. using stop motion movies to make explanations fun and engaging); Investigate and design creative marketing plans and/or outreach plans for the products being created; and;
- Provide summary explanations to the Digital Services team on the latest tools and emerging trends on the areas above and others related.
- CLIENT ORIENTATION: considers all those to whom services are provided to be "clients " and seeks to see things from clients' point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients' needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients' environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- COMMUNICATION: speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- TECHNOLOGICAL AWARENESS: keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
To qualify for an internship with the United Nations Internship Programme, applicants must
meet one of the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); or
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor's level or equivalent); or
- Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one year period of graduation from an academic programme. Applicants who are unable to commence the internship within one year of graduation shall not be accepted.
- The University degree must be in the area of Media and/or Communications, Graphic Design and/or Multimedia Arts, Geography, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Cartography, Information Technology (GIS, Graphic Design) or a related field.
Applicants are not required to have professional work experience for participation in the
programme; but applicants should:
- Be computer literate in standard software applications;
- Have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter; and
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which includes willingness to understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.Any academic and/or practical experience in Adobe Illustrator CS + or similar programmes is an advantage.
- Experience in the use of Adobe InDesign and After Effects is an asset.
- Experience with ESRI ArcGIS software (version 9.0 or higher) is an asset. Open Source equivalent experience is also very welcome. Experience in use of standard office software applications (specifically those mentioned above) is highly desirable. Experience scripting, creating and post production of both animated and real-life videos an asset.Languages
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. Fluency in English (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
Development Engineering Intern-PRO23648 Description Faurecia is an Equal Opportunity Employer Our Interiors Division is looking for a Development Engineering Intern for its Technical Center in...
Development Engineering Intern-PRO23652 Description Faurecia is an Equal Opportunity Employer Our Interiors Division is looking for a Development Engineering Intern for its Technical Center in...
Rotational Leadership Development Program (RLDP) - Sales & Marketing-SAL12799 Description Faurecia is an Equal Opportunity Employer “New trends and expectations are reshaping the automotive...
Rotational Leadership Development Program (RLDP) - Sales & Marketing-SAL12798 Description Faurecia is an Equal Opportunity Employer “New trends and expectations are reshaping the automotive...
Plant Program Team Leader-MAN16229 Description Faurecia is an Equal Opportunity Employer "New trends and expectations are reshaping the automotive industry. Inspired by the exciting new challenges...
Advanced Program Manager-PRO23743 Description Faurecia is an Equal Opportunity Employer “New trends and expectations are reshaping the automotive industry. Inspired by the exciting new challenges...
Development Engineering Intern-PRO23648 Description Faurecia is an Equal Opportunity...
Development Engineering Intern-PRO23652 Description Faurecia is an Equal Opportunity...
Rotational Leadership Development Program (RLDP) - Sales &...
Rotational Leadership Development Program (RLDP) - Sales &...
Plant Program Team Leader-MAN16229 Description Faurecia is an Equal Opportunity Employer "New...
Advanced Program Manager-PRO23743 Description Faurecia is an Equal Opportunity Employer “New...