Covance is currently seeking a level I Project Manager in Indianapolis, IN.
Working as part of the Global Project Management Office (PMO), the Project Manager (PM) routinely conducts full management of Client projects, assessing when input from the Senior PM’s / Associate Director is required to guide their projects. In this role, the PM will provide internal and external Clients with a central point of contact for projects. The individual is accountable for leading the Project teams to ensure that Client requirements and deliverables are met. This involves end to end management of a project, encompassing effective management of Client communication and use of the appropriate tools to ensure the successful initiation, planning, execution, monitoring and completion of projects. In support of a project, a PM will assist with study costing and contract requests and is accountable for financial tracking and reconciliation of projects.
The PM collaborates with Lead Scientist(s) to ensure projects are conducted in compliance with appropriate protocol, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and regulatory agency guidelines, in a timely, efficient, and quality manner. The PM will be required to utilize good communication skills to liaise with internal and external project teams, departmental management and the Client to ensure effective progress throughout the life cycle of a project. Strong interpersonal skills are required as is the ability to negotiate with both internal and external Clients.
The individual will identify and following approval, initiate the introduction of new processes and contribute to development and delivery of internal projects within the PMO. They will also support the day-to-day running of the PMO and publish internal and Client specific KPIs/KRIs.
The post holder will ensure adherence to the SOPs and will be responsible for completion of all relevant documentation.
Duties and Responsibilities
Indicate positions accountability
Department Head/Function Lead
Manager of Managers
The position will not be associated directly with line management responsibilities although project specific supervision will be required as appropriate.
- Essential Job Duties
- Oversees and participates in the on-boarding process of new clients.
- Participates in the Client enquiry / project initiation process. Contribute to the generation of Client specific proposals following the triage process, support associated conference calls and Client visits, focusing on standard projects.
- Participates in client and financial services' interactions with the client and processes.
- Reviews project scope for alignment with contract requirements and provides necessary feedback. Where appropriate, supports requests for master service agreements (MSAs), technical / quality agreements and Confidentiality Agreements (CDAs). Ensure the documents are in place in a timely manner for the initiation of the project.
- As applicable, prepare time lines to support the quote process in conjunction with Client Services and Operations.
- Request Study Numbers and Project numbers as required for Projects.
- Acts as the primary point of contact for the project work for internal/external customers.
- Using the appropriate system, manages and coordinates schedules across the department, including lab scheduling and resource management. Able to prepare schedules that drive and ensure delivery of key milestones for complex projects and key clients.
- Prepare and maintain contact details information. As needed prepare, maintain, and circulate project plan.
- Lead collaborative discussions with client and scientific teams to fully define the project requirements. Effectively communicate requirements to the project team.
- During the planning of new projects liaise with Client Services to coordinate the production of contracts, using the appropriate project tool, to ensure that these are in place in a timely manner.
- Set-up, monitor and maintain appropriate tracking for each project. Proactively monitor potential scheduling concerns and help to identify solutions. Provide the Project team, including the Client, with regular updates.
- With minimal guidance, leads the communication and interaction with the project team, other departments, and clients.
- Leads project update meetings; assigns actions and monitors progress to ensure project progression with respect to compliance with agreed schedules and scope.
- Proactively, identifies and provides recommendation for removal of barriers to project execution.
- Communicates timeline changes or concerns to internal and external clients in a timely manner.
- Leads client conference calls, project meetings, and visits as appropriate.
- Works across operational units, other departments, and sub-contractors to achieve overall targeted milestones.
Monitoring and Controlling
- Where applicable, maintains well documented, organized, and up-to-date study files including schedules, protocols, and correspondence.
- Understand and influence the quotation and contracts process. Routinely produce, update, revise and reconcile project finance and revenue trackers. Submit and track WSC as required by the project
- Collect and collate internal and client metrics / KPI's for report out to internal teams, clients and management.
- As appropriate for the project, maintain an issues log. Coordinate problem solving by defining issues, providing alternative solutions and ensuring decisions are made and disseminated to the team.
- Identifies and escalates issues as appropriate using the defined escalation process, assists with the resolution process.
- Proven ability to maintain financial projections and revenue recognition information.
- As needed, conducts risk evaluation sessions and produces a risk management log. Evaluates opportunities with the project team. Provides risk mitigation for the project and continue to evaluate and review risk log throughout the project life cycle. Conducting lessons learned sessions as appropriate throughout the life of a project. Escalates risks with wider impact to PM management team.
- Participate in the Governance of Client projects by providing detailed information to support the process and meetings.
- Follow up with Clients during and after project completion to determine satisfaction levels and to gain insight into ways to improve our service offering. Utilise CAIR process and NPS data to address internal / Client issues.
- Where applicable, responsible for managing QA audit timelines and where appropriate delegating actions.
- At the end of a project phase or at close of the project, close out all project tracking tools.
- As applicable, perform post-project analysis of project performance.
- Employ effective general management and interpersonal skills to manage the relationship within project teams with an emphasis on the client.
- Able to coordinate, schedule, and manage projects both locally and globally.
- Responds to unscheduled deadlines, client needs, and crises without neglecting other responsibilities.
- Prepares and organizes client visits.
- Where the opportunity arises ensure that Clients receive relevant information on Covance service offerings. Where appropriate draw in the subject matter experts / Client Services.
- Understand the role and accountability of the PMO within ED Chemistry Solutions.
- Knowledge of the global Covance culture is required.
- Identifies and participates in process improvement initiatives within the PMO and associated business. Supports process improvement initiatives within the Covance organization.
- Provide information on planning and financial forecasting to the relevant business units.
- A comprehensive understanding of the processes involved in the production of protocols, SOPs, analytical procedures, working documents, forms, reports, data evaluation and Client/QA audits is required.
- Provides appropriate coaching to project team members and colleagues. Participates in new employee training.
- Ensure individual training records are up to date and accurately reflect capabilities.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Travel Requirements
The role will be primarily office based. Travel may be required infrequently for Client visits and conferences.
- Minimum 3 years industry experience in a relevant field.
- Computing skills, including word processing and use of spreadsheets (e.g. Microsoft Office packages and Microsoft Project).
- The post holder should be able to communicate effectively at all levels with other Covance employees, as well as external clients, suppliers, etc.
- Proven ability to prioritize and manage time.
- The post holder will have a relevant degree and/or Minimum 3 years of relevant Project Management Office experience.
- The ability to get things done by influencing others (both internal and external).
- An up to date knowledge of regulatory guidelines is desirable.
- Knowledge of capabilities and expertise of the Covance organisation and companies that may provide support services.
- Commercial awareness, interpersonal and negotiating skills.
- Be accredited to (and maintain) or be working towards Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM) status.
- Learn and maintain knowledge of process excellence processes, tools and activities.
Minimum 3 years industry experience in a relevant field.
Not ready to apply? Connect with us to join our talent community.
DBS Cummins Center Of Expertise Leader-1900004K Description Leads, manages, and strategically directs the project management department activities for assigned functional areas. Partners with...
Release Manager - 1900585 Description The RCI Exchanges Release Manager is a high visibility high impact role in Wyndham Destinations. This is a highly seasoned hands-on person that interfaces...
Location: Indianapolis - Indiana - USA, Remote - None - None Function: Professional Services and Consulting Apply > Description The Human Capital Management Project Manager (PM) is a critical...
More than a career - a chance to make a difference in people's lives. Build an exciting, rewarding career with us – help us make a difference for millions of people every day. Consider joining the...
HVAC Sales Operations Manager - WD30060511355 What you will do Under general direction, manages the local market equipment delivery teams either for an Area or Multiple Areas. Works in association...
Customer Information Center-1815343 Description Corteva Agriscience™, Agriculture Division of DowDuPont™ has an exciting job as a Customer Information Representative in Indianapolis, IN. The...
DBS Cummins Center Of Expertise Leader-1900004K Description Leads, manages, and strategically...
Release Manager - 1900585 Description The RCI Exchanges Release Manager is a high visibility...
Location: Indianapolis - Indiana - USA, Remote - None - None Function: Professional Services and...
More than a career - a chance to make a difference in people's lives. Build an exciting,...
HVAC Sales Operations Manager - WD30060511355 What you will do Under general direction, manages...
Customer Information Center-1815343 Description Corteva Agriscience™, Agriculture Division of...