Job Function: Washington DC
Department: Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning
Location: Washington, DC
Research, Evaluation & Learning (REL) Technical Specialist: Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning
The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) seeks a full time Research, Evaluation & Learning (REL) Technical Specialist to join the Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning (MEL) DC-based technical team that supports best practice in monitoring and evaluation across NDI's global programs. The role of the REL Technical Specialist is to support two research, evaluation and learning initiatives funded by the Department of State Bureau of Democracy, Labor and Human Rights. Working under the direction of the MEL Director and/or a Senior Methodologist, the REL Technical Specialist will support (1) the design and implementation of a comprehensive REL agenda; (2) measurement strategies for ex post and ex ante evaluations; and (3) grants, contracts and logistics for the REL two initiatives.
An ideal candidate would possess skills and experience in three key areas: 1) sound social science research methods; 2) evaluation design, implementation and reporting in the international development sector; 3) grants management, budgets and reporting.
1.Supports a Comprehensive Research, Evaluation & Learning Agenda
- Coordinate and support an internal evaluation advisory committee to develop and implement a REL agenda
- Coordinate and support a consortium of evaluation practitioners to develop and implement a REL agenda
- Review and synthesize relevant literature; scope existing evidence; and provide systematic analyses of program portfolios in democracy, human rights and labor
- Support the formation and deployment of ad hoc evaluation teams around the globe
- Support the development of evaluation products and finalize reports and publications
- Work with the MEL team to promote evidence-based learning
Support Measurement Strategies for Evaluations Under the REL Initiative
Assess the evaluability of key programs under the REL agendas
Work as part of a team to develop Statements of Work (SOWs), evaluation matrices, inception reports, instrumentation and sampling strategies for ex post and ex ante evaluations
Coordinate field-based data collection and data management, including training and overseeing local enumerators to use data collection/recording protocols
- Organize/coordinate data collection logistics for ad hoc evaluation teams and oversee the use of mobile devices for data collection and server management
- Support the management, cleaning, analysis and visualization of diverse data sets (e.g. archival data, secondary data, coding qualitative data, social network analysis, focus group research and survey data)
- Coordinate data quality assurance checks for key evaluations and programs
Coordinate Communications, Grants, Contracts, Logistics and Reporting
Establish and maintain communication protocols for REL initiatives (agendas, minutes, updates, announcements)
Track grant activities and budgets; review financial reports of subgrantees, and draft narrative donor reports
Create and manage contracts and invoices of academic consultants and local research firms
Coordinate external events with the MEL team to advance the REL initiatives
Education and/or experience:
Bachelor's degree in social science research (anthropology, sociology, political science, community psychology); graduate degree strongly preferred
A minimum of 5 years relevant work experience in research and/or evaluations
Demonstrated experience in designing and implementing ex post and ex ante program evaluations
- Demonstrated experience using diverse sampling strategies
- Demonstrated experience in descriptive and predictive statistical analysis
- Demonstrated experience in quantitative and qualitative data analysis and visualization
- Living or working experience outside the U.S. for a least a year preferred
- Additional years of relevant work experience may be substituted for educational requirement on a one-for-one basis
Required skills and abilities:
Required skills for the REL Technical Specialist
- Must have training and experience in designing assessments and evaluations
- Must have knowledge and experience with both ex post and ex ante research evaluations
- Must have skills and experience in developing surveys and appropriate sample strategies
- Must have skills and experience in statistical analysis and statistical software (e.g., STATA); experience with qualitative data analysis and software (e.g., Nvivo) a plus
- Demonstrated experience in qualitative and quantitative data analysis and visualization
- Must have skills and experience in data visualization, evidence-based recommendations and evaluation and/or research report writing.
Some familiarity with Complexity Frameworks for evaluations
General required skills for NDI personnel
Familiarity with one or more areas of NDI's programmatic work
Experience with Google Apps (Gmail, Calendar, Google Drive, G+, etc.) strongly desired.
Ability to create graphs, charts in excel and other analytical software.
- Working knowledge of PC-based word processing and spreadsheet applications
- Working knowledge of basic budget and accounting procedures
- Ability to organize and balance multiple priorities on a busy team
- High level of interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity
- Excellent oral communications skills
- Exceptional writing skills to effectively create clear and concise reports, strategies and/or guidelines
- Proficient in using social media tools such as Twitter, online newsletter makers, facebook and blogs
- Foreign language ability applicable to one of the regions where NDI works, French, Arabic and/or Spanish preferred
This is a union position to be represented by the Office and Professional Employees International Union (OPEIU) Local 2.
Candidates must be legally eligible to work in the U.S. NDI does not provide sponsorship.
NDI welcomes and supports a diverse, inclusive work environment. As such, our commitment is to promote equal employment opportunities (EEO) for all applicants seeking employment and NDI employees. NDI makes employment decisions based on organizational needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, personal appearance, military status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation, educational status, unemployment status, place of residence or business, source of income, or reproductive health decision making. Additionally, harassment or discrimination based on these characteristics will not be tolerated at NDI. To perform the essential functions of this position, reasonable accommodations are available to qualified individuals with disabilities and qualified individuals who have limitations due to pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or medical related condition.
Digital Square Senior Research Consultant Tracking Code 9743 Job Description PATH is a global organization that works to accelerate health equity by bringing together public institutions,...
Program Manager, Asia Pacific Local Innovation for Transformation (APLIFT), Oxfam Secretariat, 16 daysDescription Oxfam America Secondment Opportunity DATE: November 15, 2019 TITLE: Program Manager, Asia Pacific Local Innovation for...
SUMMARY: The Head of IT Production is accountable of consistent IT support worldwide for customers and internal employees. Leads, manages and governs third-party resources to achieve established...
Job Description: EarthClaims LLC is the world s preeminent animal welfare certification company, working in concert with the leading animal welfare standards program, the Global Animal Partnership...
States Title is leading the digital transformation of the mortgage industry. We use predictive analytics and cutting-edge technology to create a modern title and escrow platform. As part of the...
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth. Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an...
Digital Square Senior Research Consultant Tracking Code 9743 Job Description PATH is a global...
Program Manager, Asia Pacific Local Innovation for Transformation (APLIFT), Oxfam Secretariat, 16 daysDescription Oxfam America Secondment Opportunity DATE: November...
SUMMARY: The Head of IT Production is accountable of consistent IT support worldwide for...
Job Description: EarthClaims LLC is the world s preeminent animal welfare certification company,...
States Title is leading the digital transformation of the mortgage industry. We use predictive...
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth. Planet designs, builds, and...