WestRock (NYSE: WRK) partners with our customers to provide differentiated paper and packaging solutions that help them win in the marketplace. WestRock’s 50,000 team members support customers around the world from more than 320 operating and business locations spanning North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Learn more at www.westrock.com .
Houston, Texas, 77061
Job Title Safety Manager
Reports To General Manager
Number of Direct Reports 0-2
Revenue Responsibility N/A
Budget Responsibility N/A
Position Location Insert Location
US Classification Exempt
Job Summary: The Safety Manager is responsible for all activities related to occupational safety
and health in the facility they are aligned to and ensures compliance with federal, state, and local
requirements and laws to prevent hazards and injuries. The Safety Manager manages and develops
safety programs to educate supervisors and managers and to prevent hazards, risks, and injuries.
Major Job Responsibilities:
• Develop and maintain safety education training program within the plant environment
• Ensure that safety audits are completed in a timely manner
• Maintain and update existing safety procedures, standard operating procedures, and policies
• Provide critical information and documentation to 3rd party auditors as necessary
• Manage compliance for environmental regulations (e.g. air permits, water runoff)
• Assist in the continuous improvement of hazard identification and risk assessment
• Ensure compliance with safety policies, regulations, and reporting in manufacturing
• Perform hazardous risk assessments for tasks or jobs to identify potential hazards and develop
risk prevention plans to mitigate them
• Review and analyze accident/injury reports and data for accuracy and detail, ensuring
corrective actions are taken
• Serve as primary point of contact for worker’s compensation and general liability insurance
• Partner with worker’s compensation and general liability insurance representatives to ensure
compliance with policy requirements
• Assist in administration of safety incentive program, including assessing participation,
monitoring engagement, reviewing all data, and ensuring incentives are paid
People and Culture
• Model and promote an organizational culture that fosters safe practices through effective
leadership and training
• Partner with manufacturing managers to review and improve safety practices and ensure
adoption by employees
Critical Skills / Capabilities:
• Collaboration: Works effectively with others to complete a task or achieve a common
objective; ability to cooperate in both interpersonal and team relationships to foster enthusiasm
and maintain mutual trust, candor, and respect for others. Works through conflict
• Detail-Oriented: Has an eye for recognizing errors or differences; plans and completes work
with thoroughness, giving attention to specific information and individual details, conditions,
necessary record keeping, and elements of that work
• Communication: Clearly exchanges thoughts, ideas, and messages through written, verbal,
and non-verbal methods that promote an understanding with the target audience; listens
carefully and attentively
• Problem-Solving: Identifies and analyzes problems; weighs relevance and accuracy of
information; generates and evaluates alternative solutions; makes recommendations;
demonstrates tackling a problem by using a logical, systematic, or sequential approach
• Leadership: Influences individuals to achieve a target departmental goal or objective
• Negotiation: Demonstrates an understanding of ways to negotiate effectively with others and
understand each party’s objectives; recognizes the potential impact of negotiation proceedings
to the business; assists with negotiations in less complex situations; asks questions to uncover
points of agreement and disagreement to help others gain consensus
• Conflict Resolution: Manages and resolves conflicts and disagreements in a constructive
manner; takes action to address employee grievances
• Interpersonal Skills: Can relate to and communicate effectively with others to build rapport
• Growth and Results Oriented: Demonstrates an interest, willingness and drive to learn new
things; seeks to understand concepts, processes, and ideas within area of functional expertise;
naturally inquisitive; sets meaningful goals for personal work productivity
• Moderate Computer Skills (e.g. Microsoft Office)
To perform the duties of the job, this role requires:
• Frequently reaching by extending two arms
• Frequently reaching by extending fingers on two hands
• Frequently use fingers to grasp with two hands
• Frequently use fingers to pinch with two hands
• Frequently use fingers to type with two hands
• The spoken exchange of ideas to be performed loudly 50-75% of the time
• The spoken exchange of ideas to be performed quickly 25-50% of the time
• Ensure the safe and accurate determination of accuracy and neatness of work or make
general observations of facilities or structures
• Frequently works indoors in an environment that is climate controlled
• Occasionally works indoors in an environment that is not climate controlled and has both high
and low temperatures
• Occasionally works outdoors in natural environmental conditions (both hot and cold)
• Noisy work environment; maintain strict adherence to safety rules and regulations
• The role is occasionally sedentary, which entails sitting or being stationary most of the time
and frequently walking/standing for 3-6 hours at a time
• Required: Thorough knowledge of safety regulations, including OSHA, ANSI, and NFPA
• Required: Minimum of 2 years in a safety program supervisory role
• Preferred: Government or professional training and compliance courses (e.g. OSHA 30-hour
• Required: High School diploma or G.E.D.
• Preferred: Associate or Bachelor’s degree
• Preferred: Safety-related certification (e.g. MESH, CSP, ASP)
Position Summary: Effectively manage and support moderate to complex IxRS activities of individual studies from award to closeout. This will include all non-technical Project Management activities...
Operations Support Analyst I This is an exciting opportunity to work within a fast paced, busy environment for a leading global provider of outsourced development services to the pharmaceutical,...
Randox Laboratories is currently inviting applications for the position of Junior Sales Executive to join its growing team. The role would involve the sales and promotion of the Randox clinical...
30+ days ago | Agribusiness - Finance, Banking, Insurance and Real Estate - Accounting/Finance/Asset Management, AgCareers.com, 2 monthsA community-oriented bank is seeking a Market President to join and lead their team of Ag Loan Officers in a very ag-centric community near (not in) Lewiston, MN. What you need: * Strong...
CRA (CRA I, CRA II and/or Sr CRA) with potential SIGN ON BONUSYou MUST have minimum 1 year of EXPERIENCE as a CLINICAL RESEARCH ASSOCIATE to be considered.Would you like to work for ICON, the...
Position Summary: Effectively manage and support moderate to complex IxRS activities of...
Operations Support Analyst I This is an exciting opportunity to work within a fast paced, busy...
Randox Laboratories is currently inviting applications for the position of Junior Sales...
30+ days ago | Agribusiness - Finance, Banking, Insurance and Real Estate - Accounting/Finance/Asset Management, AgCareers.com, 2 monthsA community-oriented bank is seeking a Market President to join and lead their team of Ag Loan...
CRA (CRA I, CRA II and/or Sr CRA) with potential SIGN ON BONUSYou MUST have minimum 1 year of...