Background on Southbridge Public Schools:
Southbridge Public Schools serve approximately 2,200 students in six schools. The district is presently undergoing extensive turnaround at all levels, with the assistance of the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education. This creates unique opportunities for teachers and students. One example is a recently announced, long-term partnership with the University of Connecticut to develop Southbridge Schools to be a national demonstration site for successful implementation of PBIS strategies. Additionally, our district is the recipient of a number of significant grants that are allowing us to creatively redesign Secondary School, curriculum enhancements, improved culture and climate and afterschool opportunities for students. If you feel strongly about improving the educational experience for students and have a commitment to social justice, Southbridge Public Schools welcomes you.
Title: School Secretary, Southbridge Academy
Reports To Principal or designee
Purpose: Performs a wide variety of duties, some of a confidential nature. Performs general secretarial duties which may be required but not limited to answering phones, computer functions, typing, filing, copying, distributing mail, ordering general supplies, proofreading, etc. Provides monitoring of students as needed.
Essential Performance Responsibilities
- Receives direction and support from Building Administration
- Responds to walk in, telephone, doorbell, and intercom customer services needs in a timely, positive, and responsive way.
- Manages office reception area including sign-in, waiting area capacity, and escorting visitors.
- Creates reports and records data as appropriate.
- Creates spreadsheets, programs, rosters, certificates, lists, letters, and other word processing documents.
- Works with staff to distribute student, parent, and staff communications through phone, email, US mail, and school messenger system.
- Assists with coordination of student drop off and pick up.
- Completes copy requests for teachers and administrators as needed.
- Uses intra-school communication systems including radio, intercom, various alarms, paging, etc. as required.
- Uses mail merge function to create labels, certificates, mailings, and files regularly.
- Processes and files student and building facility forms as required.
- Prepares daily announcements as directed.
- Maintains calendars
- Follows oral and written directions accurately.
- Sorts and distributes USPS and interschool mail.
- Assists with special projects as required.
- Serves as a backup for other office staff.
- Completes all other reasonable directives of supervisor
- Works in standard office and school building environments
- Occasional overtime may be required by the supervisor
- Must have organization, time management, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to read and use information from written materials and visual displays.
- Ability to work in standing/walking positions on a frequent basis throughout the work shift.
- Contact with personnel within the district and with customers and vendors.
- Will be working under the direct supervision of the Principal in order to complete day to day tasks.
- Will be working with a diverse population requiring the ability to handle all situations with tact and diplomacy.
- Must understand and respond appropriately to customer needs and maintain a positive attitude with all customers and colleagues.
- Expected to interact with all internal and external customers in a friendly, professional manner and provide quick, responsive customer service.
Employee Punctuality and Appearance
- In order for schools to operate effectively, employees are expected to perform all assigned duties and work all scheduled hours during each designated workday, unless the employee has received approved leave.
- Any deviation from assigned hours must have prior approval from the employee’s supervisor or building administrator.
- All employees are required to report to work dressed in a manner that reflects a positive image of Southbridge Public Schools and is appropriate for their position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- A High School Diploma or GED equivalent is required.
- Previous experience working in an office setting is preferred.
- Previous experience working in a public school setting is preferred.
- Proficient PC computer knowledge is required.
- Proficiency of the English language to read and communicate with others.
- Proficiency of the Spanish language to read and communicate with others is preferred
- Knowledge of District computer software preferred.
- Ability and patience to work with students and parents.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the ability to take initiative and work independently
- Excellent organizational skills
- Demonstrate a positive attendance record and prior work history
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Displays a significant degree of professionalism and confidentiality.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Southbridge Public Schools is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, creed, national origin, sex, gender identity, disability, religion, age, or sexual orientation.
What are your goals for the New Year? Do they include achieving better work/life balance, expanding your professional interests, or working where you are an integral part of a team, not a...
What are your goals for the New Year? Do they include achieving better work/life balance,...