Teacher - Moderate Disabilities/[SPED Learning Disabled] (SEI Endorsement Required)[Long-Term Substitute] (SY19-20)
THIS IS A LONG TERM SUB POSITION that is expected to start on 9/03/2019 and end on 11/04/2019.
Please note, all substitute teachers are hired as per diem subs, even when placed in long term assignments. All substitutes begin at the per diem rate of pay. For further information about becoming a BPS sub please refer to our website (http://bostonpublicschools.org/Page/1095 ).
Boston Public Schools seeks an exceptional SPECIAL EDUCATION (SpEd) Learning Disabled TEACHER with an SEI Endorsement who is highly qualified and knowledgeable to join our community of teachers, learners and leaders. This is an exciting opportunity for teachers who desire to serve where their efforts matter. In BPS, the teachers and leaders are committed to the vision of high expectations for achievement, equal access to high levels of instruction, the achievement of academic proficiency for all students, and the closing of the achievement gap among subgroups within the schools. BPS is a great place for those who seek to work in an environment that supports their creativity and innovation, and respects their skills and abilities as a teacher.
REPORTS TO: Principal/Headmaster
Implement district learning goals and objectives, in alignment with state frameworks, having familiarity in identifying access points for student portfolio development.
Provide small-group instruction to students diagnosed with from moderate to severe cognitive delays to ensure understanding and progress in the general curriculum.
Write and implement goals and objectives consistent with student Individualized Education Plans (IEPs) and provide timely and regular progress reports on student development.
Provide needed accommodations for student learning and testing when required. If needed, develop and implement curriculum, and collect and analyze student work in preparation for MCAS Alternative Assessment to assure progress and development.
Collaborate as a team member within school building in supporting other staff members to respond to student needs for modification.
Provide assistance to transition to adult living services as appropriate.
CORE COMPETENCIES: Using the Rubric of Effective Teaching, the Office of Human Capital has identified priority skills and abilities that all BPS teachers should possess:
(II-A-1. Quality of Effort and Work, II-D-2. High Expectations, I-B-2. Adjustments to Practice)
- Sets ambitious learning goals for all students, creates cognitively demanding tasks, and models the belief that that all students can master challenging material through effective effort
- Assesses students’ understanding regularly with ambitious learning goals in mind and takes ownership of making necessary adjustments to instruction to reach goals despite setbacks
- Passionate and optimistic about their students, their content, and the teaching profession
(I-A-1. Subject Matter Knowledge, I-A-4. Well-Structured Lessons)
- Demonstrates mastery of and enthusiasm for content area and the pedagogy it requires
- Demonstrates understanding for how the subject matter applies in real-world settings and connects to other content areas and relevant standards
- Can convey content in creative and engaging ways that align to standards
(II-A-3. Meeting Diverse Needs, II-A-2. Student Engagement, II-B-1. Safe Learning Environment)
- Scaffolds and differentiates instruction in order for all students to do complex thinking and rigorous academic work
- Uses instructional practices that are likely to challenge, motivate, and engage all students and facilitate equitable, active student participation
- Builds a productive learning environment where every student participates and is valued as part of the class community
(II-C-1. Respects Differences, II-C-2. Maintains Respectful Environment)
- Actively creates and maintains an environment in which students’ diverse backgrounds, identities, strengths, and challenges are respected
(III-A-1. Parent/Family Engagement)
- Engages with families and builds collaborative, respectful relationships with them in service of student learning
(IV-A-1. Reflective Practice, IV-C-1. Professional Collaboration)
- Regularly reflects on practice, seeks and responds to feedback, and demonstrates self-awareness and commitment to continuous learning and development
- Seeks to participate in and contribute to a collaborative adult learning community.
TERMS: BTU, Group I
Please refer to www.bostonpublicschools.org/ohc (under "Employee Benefits and Policies") for more information on salary and compensation. Salaries are listed by Unions and Grade/Step.
Next year, many BPS schools will have a longer school day through the "Schedule A" Extended Learning Time (ELT) agreement. To learn more about ELT at BPS and whether or not this school is a "Schedule A" ELT school, check here: bostonpublicschools.org/elt.
The Boston Public Schools, in accordance with its nondiscrimination policies, does not discriminate in its programs, facilities, or employment or educational opportunities on the basis of race, color, age, criminal record (inquiries only), disability, homelessness, sex/gender, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, genetics or military status, and does not tolerate any form of retaliation, or bias-based intimidation, threat or harassment that demeans individuals’ dignity or interferes with their ability to learn or work.
Newman Elementary 1st Grade Teacher (Begins for the 2020-2021 School year), Needham Public Schools, 26 daysPosition: 1st Grade Classroom Teacher Under the general supervision of the School Principal, facilitates student success and growth in academic and interpersonal skills through implementing...
The Needham Public Schools seeks outstanding and highly motivated applicants with diverse backgrounds and experiences for the one year Grade 2 Classroom Teacher position. This teacher will...
First Grade Teacher at Eliot School starting August 2020 "Eliot fosters a love of learning in a community where everyone matters!" John Eliot is a K-5 elementary school that is home to...
Position: The Needham Public Schools seeks outstanding and highly motivated applicants for the position of Special Education Teacher at Needham High School. Position...
Newman Elementary Primary Grade Teacher (Begins for the 2020-2021 School year), Needham Public Schools, 26 daysPosition: 3rd Grade Classroom Teacher Under the general supervision of the School Principal, facilitates student success and growth in academic and interpersonal skills through implementing...
Description: Seeking a dynamic teacher with a strong commitment to active anti-racism for our grade 7 accelerated mathematics program. This position will be responsible for two sections of grade 7...
Newman Elementary 1st Grade Teacher (Begins for the 2020-2021 School year), Needham Public Schools, 26 daysPosition: 1st Grade Classroom Teacher Under the general supervision of the School Principal,...
The Needham Public Schools seeks outstanding and highly motivated applicants with diverse...
First Grade Teacher at Eliot School starting August 2020 "Eliot fosters a love of learning in a...
Position: The Needham Public Schools seeks outstanding and highly motivated applicants for the...
Newman Elementary Primary Grade Teacher (Begins for the 2020-2021 School year), Needham Public Schools, 26 daysPosition: 3rd Grade Classroom Teacher Under the general supervision of the School Principal,...
Description: Seeking a dynamic teacher with a strong commitment to active anti-racism for our...