Teacher - Moderate Disabilities/Learning Disabled Strand (SEI Endorsement Required) (Anticipated Vacancy) (SY19-20)
This position is an anticipated vacancy. However, the current incumbent has a right to rescind their retirement, leave, or resignation up until the day of the expected vacancy date. Your hire will not be confirmed until the position is vacated, and you may start the year as a Long-Term Substitute if the position does not become vacant by the start of the school year.
Boston Public Schools seeks an exceptional SPECIAL EDUCATION (SpEd) Learning Disabled Strand TEACHER with an SEI Endorsement who is highly qualified and knowledgeable to join our community of teachers, learners and leaders. This is an exciting opportunity for teachers who desire to serve where their efforts matter. In BPS, the teachers and leaders are committed to the vision of high expectations for achievement, equal access to high levels of instruction, the achievement of academic proficiency for all students, and the closing of the achievement gap among subgroups within the schools. BPS is a great place for those who seek to work in an environment that supports their creativity and innovation, and respects their skills and abilities as a teacher.
REPORTS TO: Principal/Headmaster
Implement district learning goals and objectives, in alignment with state frameworks, having familiarity in identifying access points for student portfolio development.
Provide small-group instruction to students diagnosed with from moderate to severe cognitive delays to ensure understanding and progress in the general curriculum.
Write and implement goals and objectives consistent with student Individualized Education Plans (IEPs) and provide timely and regular progress reports on student development.
Provide needed accommodations for student learning and testing when required. If needed, develop and implement curriculum, and collect and analyze student work in preparation for MCAS Alternative Assessment to assure progress and development.
Collaborate as a team member within school building in supporting other staff members to respond to student needs for modification.
Provide assistance to transition to adult living services as appropriate.
CORE COMPETENCIES: Using the Rubric of Effective Teaching, the Office of Human Capital has identified priority skills and abilities that all BPS teachers should possess:
(II-A-1. Quality of Effort and Work, II-D-2. High Expectations, I-B-2. Adjustments to Practice)
- Sets ambitious learning goals for all students, creates cognitively demanding tasks, and models the belief that that all students can master challenging material through effective effort
- Assesses students’ understanding regularly with ambitious learning goals in mind and takes ownership of making necessary adjustments to instruction to reach goals despite setbacks
- Passionate and optimistic about their students, their content, and the teaching profession
(I-A-1. Subject Matter Knowledge, I-A-4. Well-Structured Lessons)
- Demonstrates mastery of and enthusiasm for content area and the pedagogy it requires
- Demonstrates understanding for how the subject matter applies in real-world settings and connects to other content areas and relevant standards
- Can convey content in creative and engaging ways that align to standards
(II-A-3. Meeting Diverse Needs, II-A-2. Student Engagement, II-B-1. Safe Learning Environment)
- Scaffolds and differentiates instruction in order for all students to do complex thinking and rigorous academic work
- Uses instructional practices that are likely to challenge, motivate, and engage all students and facilitate equitable, active student participation
- Builds a productive learning environment where every student participates and is valued as part of the class community
(II-C-1. Respects Differences, II-C-2. Maintains Respectful Environment)
- Actively creates and maintains an environment in which students’ diverse backgrounds, identities, strengths, and challenges are respected
(III-A-1. Parent/Family Engagement)
- Engages with families and builds collaborative, respectful relationships with them in service of student learning
(IV-A-1. Reflective Practice, IV-C-1. Professional Collaboration)
- Regularly reflects on practice, seeks and responds to feedback, and demonstrates self-awareness and commitment to continuous learning and development
- Seeks to participate in and contribute to a collaborative adult learning community.
TERMS: BTU, Group I
Please refer to www.bostonpublicschools.org/ohc (under "Employee Benefits and Policies") for more information on salary and compensation. Salaries are listed by Unions and Grade/Step.
Next year, many BPS schools will have a longer school day through the "Schedule A" Extended Learning Time (ELT) agreement. To learn more about ELT at BPS and whether or not this school is a "Schedule A" ELT school, check here: bostonpublicschools.org/elt.
The Boston Public Schools, in accordance with its nondiscrimination policies, does not discriminate in its programs, facilities, or employment or educational opportunities on the basis of race, color, age, criminal record (inquiries only), disability, homelessness, sex/gender, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, genetics or military status, and does not tolerate any form of retaliation, or bias-based intimidation, threat or harassment that demeans individuals’ dignity or interferes with their ability to learn or work.
Job Description: The Public Schools of Brookline seeks a Middle School Math Teacher for Grades 7 and 8. This is a full-time-one year position. Duties include but are not limited...
The Student Intervention Team (SIT) is an interdisciplinary, collaborative, problem-solving team that supports at-risk students by working with their teachers and support staff to develop and...
1.0 High School Latin Teacher Substitute for Leave of Absence Position: The Needham Public Schools seeks outstanding applicants for the position of Long Term Substitute Latin Teacher at Needham...
FRAMINGHAM PUBLIC SCHOOLS FULLER MIDDLE SCHOOL TITLE: Student Success Coach 2019-2020 School Year POSITION SUMMARY: The Student Success Coach is an integral part of Framingham Public School’s...
FRAMINGHAM PUBLIC SCHOOLS BROPHY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL TITLE: TBE Spanish-Speaking Elementary Teacher 2019-2020 School Year POSITION SUMMARY: To provide direct instruction to students in elementary...
FRAMINGHAM PUBLIC SCHOOLS DEPARTMENT OF FOOD SERVICES TITLE: Student Intern Two (2) Vacancies POSITION SUMMARY: The Food Services Department is looking for student interns to join our team. Our...
Job Description: The Public Schools of Brookline seeks a Middle School Math Teacher for Grades...
The Student Intervention Team (SIT) is an interdisciplinary, collaborative, problem-solving team...
1.0 High School Latin Teacher Substitute for Leave of Absence Position: The Needham Public...
FRAMINGHAM PUBLIC SCHOOLS FULLER MIDDLE SCHOOL TITLE: Student Success Coach 2019-2020 School...
FRAMINGHAM PUBLIC SCHOOLS BROPHY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL TITLE: TBE Spanish-Speaking Elementary...
FRAMINGHAM PUBLIC SCHOOLS DEPARTMENT OF FOOD SERVICES TITLE: Student Intern Two (2)...