THIS IS A LONG TERM SUB POSITION that is expected to start on 12/2019-06/2020.
Boston Public Schools seeks an exceptional Long Term Substitute TEACHER (Moderate Disabilities, 6-8) who is highly qualified and knowledgeable to join our community of teachers, learners and leaders. A “Long Term Substitute” is assigned to fill a position of teacher which is temporarily vacant and serves continuously in the same assignment in the same school. This is an exciting opportunity for teachers who desire to serve where their efforts matter. In BPS, the teachers and leaders are committed to the vision of high expectations for achievement, equal access to high levels of instruction, the achievement of academic proficiency for all students, and the closing of the achievement gap among subgroups within the schools. BPS is a great place for those who seek to work in an environment that supports their creativity and innovation, and respects their skills and abilities as a teacher.
To be hired as a long term substitute in Boston Public Schools, candidates must create an account via TalentEd, here . Please note, all substitute teachers are hired as per diem subs, even when placed in long term assignments. All substitutes begin at the per diem rate of pay. For further information about becoming a BPS sub please refer to our website here .
REPORTS TO: Principal/Headmaster
CORE COMPETENCIES: Using the Rubric of Effective Teaching, the Office of Human Capital has identified priority skills and abilities that all BPS teachers should possess:
(II-A-1. Quality of Effort and Work, II-D-2. High Expectations, I-B-2. Adjustments to Practice)
- Sets ambitious learning goals for all students, creates cognitively demanding tasks, and models the belief that that all students can master challenging material through effective effort
- Assesses students’ understanding regularly with ambitious learning goals in mind and takes ownership of making necessary adjustments to instruction to reach goals despite setbacks
- Passionate and optimistic about their students, their content, and the teaching profession
(I-A-1. Subject Matter Knowledge, I-A-4. Well-Structured Lessons)
- Demonstrates mastery of and enthusiasm for content area and the pedagogy it requires
- Demonstrates understanding for how the subject matter applies in real-world settings and connects to other content areas and relevant standards
- Can convey content in creative and engaging ways that align to standards
(II-A-3. Meeting Diverse Needs, II-A-2. Student Engagement, II-B-1. Safe Learning Environment)
- Scaffolds and differentiates instruction in order for all students to do complex thinking and rigorous academic work
- Uses instructional practices that are likely to challenge, motivate, and engage all students and facilitate equitable, active student participation
- Builds a productive learning environment where every student participates and is valued as part of the class community
(II-C-1. Respects Differences, II-C-2. Maintains Respectful Environment)
- Actively creates and maintains an environment in which students’ diverse backgrounds, identities, strengths, and challenges are respected
(III-A-1. Parent/Family Engagement)
- Engages with families and builds collaborative, respectful relationships with them in service of student learning
(IV-A-1. Reflective Practice, IV-C-1. Professional Collaboration)
- Regularly reflects on practice, seeks and responds to feedback, and demonstrates self-awareness and commitment to continuous learning and development
- Seeks to participate in and contribute to a collaborative adult learning community.
- Education: Hold a Bachelors degree.
- Meet all state and federal guidelines in order to be fully licensed and Highly Qualified.
- Ability to meet the Dimensions of Effective Teaching established by the Boston Public Schools as outlined above.
- Current authorization to work in the United States - Candidates must have such authorization by their first day of employment.
- Experience teaching in urban schools.
- Hold a valid Massachusetts Teaching License in the appropriate subject and level. All substitute teachers who hold an active, Massachusetts teaching license shall receive a differential equal to three percent (3%) of the per diem rate.
- Degree in Education.
Terms: BTU, Group I
Position: Classroom Teacher Under the general supervision of the School Principal, facilitates student success and growth in academic and interpersonal skills through implementing district...
Job Description: The Public Schools of Brookline seeks a High School Math Teacher to work at Brookline High School (0.8 FTE) . This is long term sub position beginning on January 30, 2020 and...
ARLINGTON PUBLIC SCHOOLS METCO Academic Instructional Support Specialist Job Description 11/18/2019 The METCO Academic Support Specialist provides academic services are available to students in...
FRAMINGHAM PUBLIC SCHOOLS HEMENWAY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL TITLE: Special Education Aide 2019-2020 School Year POSITION SUMMARY: To assist student(s) with special needs under the direction of a...
Job Description: Brookline English Language Art teachers guide students to make connections in reading and writing. Position anticipated to begin mid January until last day of school (June...
1st Grade Classroom Teacher (Long-term Substitute, March-End of Year), Public Schools of Brookline, 5 days1st Grade Classroom Teacher (Long-term Substitute, March-End of Year) In Brookline, our mission is to ensure that every student develops the skills and knowledge to pursue a productive and...
Position: Classroom Teacher Under the general supervision of the School Principal, facilitates...
Job Description: The Public Schools of Brookline seeks a High School Math Teacher to work at...
ARLINGTON PUBLIC SCHOOLS METCO Academic Instructional Support Specialist Job...
FRAMINGHAM PUBLIC SCHOOLS HEMENWAY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL TITLE: Special Education Aide 2019-2020...
Job Description: Brookline English Language Art teachers guide students to make connections in...
1st Grade Classroom Teacher (Long-term Substitute, March-End of Year), Public Schools of Brookline, 5 days1st Grade Classroom Teacher (Long-term Substitute, March-End of Year) In Brookline, our mission...