Grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, UN Women will work for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
UN Women Regional Director, Arab States, Cairo, Egypt, D-1
Reporting to the Deputy Executive Director, Policy and Programme Bureau, and to the Deputy Executive Director, Resource Management, Sustainability and Partnerships, the Regional Director is responsible for leading and managing the Regional Office (RO) and for providing leadership and managerial oversight in the region on the direction, strategic design and planning of UN Women regional initiatives as well as contribution to and integration of UN Women interventions in the broader UN development framework and reform. S/he is also responsible for providing managerial support, guidance and oversight of the RO, Multi-Country Offices (MCO) and Country Offices (CO) programme implementation and operations (financial, human resources and administrative), and for political, advocacy, strategic partnership, resource mobilization and representation activities to promote UN Women goals, competencies, interests and objectives.
- Manage the strategic direction of the Regional Office and the region
- Oversee programme management and monitoring of the projects/ programmes in the region
- Lead the management of human and financial resources of the Regional Office
- Advocate for UN Women’s mandate and lead UN Inter-Agency coordination and intergovernmental support
- Lead strategic partnership building and oversee resource mobilization strategies
- Participate in knowledge management and capacity building efforts
- Master's degree (or equivalent) in a development-related area, including economics, public policy or other social science fields.
- At least 15 years of progressively responsible development experience that combines intellectual, strategic and managerial leadership in development programmes, some of which should be in the area of gender equality, preferably in developing countries within the UN system, Agencies, Funds, Programmes, or UN Mission;
- Experience with managing, supporting and overseeing development policymaking, programme and operations management, resource mobilization and partnership creation;
- Experience leading a team.
- Fluency in English is required; knowledge of Arabic and French language desirable.