Terms of Reference
UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is offering a Web Publishing Internship position within the Digital Engagement Section in PSP in our Copenhagen Headquarters in Denmark.
This exciting internship is a unique opportunity to gain experience with content management systems and user experience. It offers also a chance to gain insight into the work of UNHCR’s different teams and to learn more about the organisation’s digital strategy.
UNHCR is a global organisation dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities and stateless people. Every year, millions of men, women and children are forced to flee their homes to escape conflict and persecution. We are in over 135 countries, using our expertise to protect and care for millions of people.
Title: Web Publishing Intern
Duty Station: Copenhagen, Denmark
Duration: 6 Months
Closingdate: Sunday 11 August 2019, Midnight - Central European Summer Time (CEST)
Startdate: 23 September 2019
The Digital Engagement Section (DES) advises on, creates and delivers digital solutions and strategies for engaging with UNHCR’s primary audiences, including the public, partners, governments, refugees and staff. As part of its responsibilities, DES oversees UNHCR’s global web presence, partnering with the Global Communication Service (GCS) and other stakeholders within the organization to ensure that website strategy delivers effectively on the organization’s communications goals.
Within DES, the Experience and Campaigns Unit ensures that UNHCR digital platforms provide a high-quality user experience and that digital campaigns are strategically planned and delivered. The intern will assist with the management of several UNHCR websites and will provide administrative support to the team.
Duties and responsibilities
• Assisting with the publication of documents and articles on UNHCR global sites (English and French)
• Global sites maintenance (check broken links, update figures, remove outdated documents, correct misspelling)
• Assisting with online monitoring of UNHCR country sites to ensure quality and consistency
• User management of country sites (WordPress)
• Coordinating regular team and other meetings (including preparing agenda, drafting minutes and action points)
• Providing support to the Help project (help.unhcr.org) varying from, but not limited to, house-keeping on help sites (WordPress), online research activities, reporting from website analytics
Essential minimum qualifications and professional experience required
• Be a recent graduate (completed studies within one year at start date) or current student in a graduate/undergraduate school programme from a university or higher education facility accredited by UNESCO; and have completed at least two years of undergraduate studies in a field relevant or of interest to the work of UNHCR
• Experience with web publishing, preferably with a WordPress CMS
• Excellent communication and inter-personal skills
• Excellent written and verbal English skills
• Good command of French
• Good organizational skills
• Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
• Experience with digital analytics would be an asset
The successful candidate will be based with the team in the UN City in Copenhagen, Denmark. Obtaining and renewing current visas and residence permits including all associated costs, are the responsibility of the intern.
The internship is for six months with start date 23 September 2019. It is a full-time role with working hours starting from 8.30am to 5pm Monday to Friday (40 hours per week).
Please note that the terms of internship, as defined by UNHCR practice, include the payment of a Food and Local Transportation Allowance.